LHS Consultation: Scheme of Assistance

Page 1 of 8

Closes 28 Feb 2023

Private Sector Adaptations

Falkirk Council has a statutory duty to provide mandatory grants for certain types of work to meet the assessed needs of residents with disabilities, living in private housing.  Social Work Services, Children’s Services and sometimes Occupational Therapists carry out this assessment.

Where a need is assessed and the property can be adapted, 80% or 100% grant can be paid for qualifying work.  100% grant will be paid where certain people in the household are in receipt of one or more qualifying benefits.  Clients choose their own contractors and can add extra finishes to the work.

1. If you were only eligible for an 80% grant, would you be able to afford to pay the remaining 20% share of an adaptation (average costs are between £1,000 - £1,500)?
2. Should we explore the option of introducing Discretionary Adaptation Grant Assistance to cover the 20% share?
3. How important do you think the following areas are in assisting adaptation applicants?
4. Please let us know if you have any other comments relating to Private Sector Adaptations